October 1 2018
A Swansea company and a number of people are facing charges in what prosecutors call a “major” illegal gambling and money-laundering operation.
The Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office announced grand jury indictments Monday against Televend, Inc. and six individuals accused of being the leaders of the operation. The people charged are:
- Clifford Wilson, 56, of Dighton
- Deodato Faria, 68, of Fall River
- John Camara, 59, of Somerset
- Antone Oliveira, 75, of Fall River
- Natercia Teixeira, 44, of Fall River
- Mario Teixeira, 52, of Fall River
According to the AG’s Office, the scheme involved gambling devices that worked like casino slot machines. Investigators said the machines were sent to dozens of establishments across southeastern Massachusetts.